She's All That movie review- ooooooh kiss me

 Freddie Prinze Jr. invented sideburns and being sexy. 


Director: Robert Iscove

Writer: R. Lee Fleming Jr. 

Cinematographer: Francis Kenny 

Cast: Freddie Prinze Jr., Rachael Leigh Cook, Paul Walker, Matthew Lillard

Year: 1999

High School Heartthrob Zach Siler (the amazing Freddie Prinze Jr.) is desired by many of his classmates. But his overall popularity is in decline since his cheerleader girlfriend, Taylor (the wonderful Jodi Lyn O'Keefe) breaks up with him for dimwitted and sleazy reality television star Brock Hudson (the fantastic Matthew Lillard). Desperate to not lose his fading popularity, Zach makes a deal with his friends that he can turn the next nerdy outcast into the school's next prom queen, Laney Boggs seeming happens to stumble onto the scene (the fabulous Rachael Leigh Cook) as his candidate, now he has six weeks to gain her trust and make her over. 

As the absolutely horrendous reboot He's All That was unfortunately released on Netflix a few months ago, I decided to honour the original and review it (as I do best). She's All That has always seemed somewhat of a late 90's classic, with its: 'make-over-the-geeky-girl-even-though-she's-already-hot-by-literally-taking-off-her-glasses' trope, Matthew Lillard's amazing dancing skills to 'Give It To Me Baby' by Rick James, Usher randomly jump scaring me every time he comes on screen and Paul Walker's blue eyes and perfect smile. Sarah Michelle Gellar and her 6-second cameo also really did make this film a lot better. I mean, who doesn't love a Scooby-Doo origin story? If cinema has proven anything over the years, it is that, whilst baggy jeans and overly-styled hair may go out of style, the tale of opposites attract will never go out of style. I mean, this film is really a pivotal point of late 90s culture, pubes on pizza, Jess from Gilmore Girls cleaning up Laney's house, deep hacky sack metaphors and choreographed prom dances. I mean, it's a cinematic classic! The second-hand embarrassment this movie gave me from the performance art scene will never be topped by another movie! Ever! And when the opening chords to Sixpence None the Richer's 'Kiss Me' drops you can just about feel the presence of a divine nature that connects all humans together on this earth. There's just something about cheesy 90s comedies that just hit different, they just seem to warm my heart and draw me in closer to the screen, or maybe it's just the continuous shots of Freddie Prinze Jr's face (now that's some beautiful cinematography). I also have to say that I am so over these movie tropes where the mousy girl acts like she's not interested in the hot guy (it is very unrealistic, people!). If Freddie Prinze Jr walked into my work to see me, I'd take all my clothes off. I mean if Freddie Prinze Jr bet it on me, I'd be thankful; sometimes, it is necessary to support misogyny. My toxic trait is enjoying every single movie about a popular guy falling for a shy girl. All I need now is Clea Duvall to tell me to kill myself. 

She's All That is another movie to add to the movies-where-one-character-calls-another-character-an-unusual-term-of-endearment-that-I-love list, and in this case, it is 'pumpkin-nose'.  I mean, nothing in this movie makes any sense; I love it so much! at this point; it's just a coping mechanism. I wish I lived during the 90s when love was real. Not this movie makes me want a boyfriend...the power of cinema. I mean, Matthew Lillard is the blueprint! He is literally the best part of every movie he has ever featured in. I hope he knows he invented the craft of acting. I also love how no one talks about Usher in this movie like he's just over there vibing and Djing like, why?! WHY?!? What was the reason?! This film is just both iconic and offensive; we love to see it. There's really nothing more I can say about this movie; it's cheesy 90s rubbish that I could constantly watch on a loop. I believe that any teen movie from the 90s just had to be laced with something, every single one I watch bangs! Maybe it's the charm, the era, the actors, or just the vibes which radiate off of it. I mean, the script isn't very good, but the actors did all they could do, dance and look hot, and in my book, that means it's a cinematic masterpiece. Just know that Addison Rae will never be Freddie Prinze Jr, and I hope that film takes a long walk off a short pier. I just really hate Hollywood sometimes when they go trying to remake classics that shouldn't be touched! Movies like this should be put in vaults or something cause I'm sick of remakes and resurrections, like bro, come up with your own ideas! I'm not even going to get into the whole Tik Tok 'star' 'actress' thing cause it makes me want to throw myself in front of a moving car. All I can say is She's All That has a special place in the 'important 90s teen movies' hall of fame. Everyone should at least watch this movie before they die. 

Hey guys, misogyny isn't coo- KISSSSSS MEEEEE, BENEATH THE MILKY TWIIILLLIGHTTTT.

At the end of the day, even though this movie has some faults, overall, this is just a quintessential 90s comedy with a bunch of hot actors you just stare at for 1 hour and 35 minutes. Face card never declines! This movie is an important relic, and we must respect it. And whoever cast this movie is a 90s genius. The feminism left my body the second Freddie showed up on my screen; sorry! I mean, if I saw Freddie Prinze Jr's dick at my high school graduation, it would be OVER....on my way to horny jail right now; tell my mother I love her!

Rating: 3/5

Favourite quotes:

"Screw the dolphins."
"A guy tried that last year, banned from Sea World for life."

"Sometimes when you open up to people, you let the bad in with the good."

"I feel like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. You know, except for the whole hooker thing." 

"So, Laney, I was wondering if you...you wanted to...embarrass me horribly in front of all these people." 





Comments

Popular Posts