Clueless movie review- Oh, to be rolling with the homies

 Isn't that technically incest? 

Director: Amy Heckerling

Writer: Amy Heckerling 

Cinematographer: Bill Pope

Cast: Alicia Silverstone, Paul Rudd, Brittany Murphy, Breckin Meyer, Dan Hedaya

Year: 1995

Rich, socially relevant and successful Cher (the wonderful Alicia Silverstone) is at her peak in her Beverly Hills high school. Cher sees herself as somewhat of a matchmaker, first persuading two teachers to date each other. Luck strikes her success, and her ego is stroked; Cher decides to give hopelessly tom-boyish and clumsy new student Tai (the amazing Brittany Murphy) a complete makeover. But when Tai becomes more popular than her, Cher realizes that her cool and disapproving ex-stepbrother (the breathtaking Paul Rudd) was right all along about how misguided her real intentions were and how shallow she really was, ultimately realising that she is, in fact in love with him. (I mean, who wouldn't be it's Paul Rudd?!)

"Ugh, As if" I'm actually reviewing this timeless piece of iconic cinema. I don't know why it has taken me so long to write this review, although I am somewhat passionate about this film and believe that this should be shown in schools throughout the world as an introduction to teen life and for every girl to realise at a young age just how hot Paul Rudd really is, I never really knew what to say. Based on 'Emma' written by the legendary Jane Austen, there's really not much fault in the plot (apart from the 'incest', but we'll get to that later). I love Clueless, not in a chick flick; I love the 90s and Paul Rudd way, but in a female gaze, commentary on stereotypes, late 90s retro-vibes way. There's just something so stupidly relatable to it; yes, I am a 'virgin who can't drive', but that's beside the point. Clueless is by far the most 90s movie I have ever seen. The clothes, the music and even the way they talk just bring you back to that time. As you've realised, I'm a sucker for a 90s film, I believe it's where the film industry really peaked, and you can't argue with me because this fine piece of cinema gold was released at that time as well. This constantly hilarious and witty teen satire is really a great way to ease yourself into 90s teen cinema; there's really not much I can criticise as I see this as a wonderfully perfect piece of cinema. But maybe that's just because I idolise and glamorise literally any piece of media that was cultivated and created within the 90s. I think Clueless really was the catalyst for my love and ridiculous obsession with the 90s; I've pretty much consumed as much as possible from that era. Clueless itself has really impacted pop culture; it's a defining point in media that needs to be underlined heavily in the history books as an impactful part of 90s teen culture. Heckerling has a tremendous grasp on both the defining parts of being a teen and what plays on different and hilarious stereotypes to the point of painting them into a reality that makes them feel almost plausible. Clueless isn't, at the end of the day, just a 'film'; it's literally become a part of modern popular culture. It's still impactful nearly 26 years after its release. Although it is neither an adventurous nor avant-garde or experimental film, Its sort of simplicity showcases its ability to pull from society and the teenage brain, it's a mixture of regency-style plots and characters whisked up with every single thing 90s. Cher is literally the archetype for every single rich Beverly Hills girl ever; she redefined the 'dumb blonde' archetype and made it cool. Cher Horowitz was the blueprint; she is the moment and will forever be the moment. What catapults this film even further is its two leading stars, Alicia Silverstone and Paul Rudd. Both actors bring life to what seems like an overly materialistic and consumerist world, bringing forth not only vibrant personalities but also emotions. The montage of Cher slowly realizing she's in love with Josh is the most relatable thing I've ever seen. I would also like to add that Paul Rudd has not aged since this movie, and it's not fair (I'm saying it now, that man is a vampire, he must have drunk from the fountain of youth or something like wtf). All I want is for someone to look at me like young Paul Rudd looks at Cher in this movie. Is that too much to ask!?

Ok, now to the 'incest' part. I've thought about this part of the film quite a lot, and as I've read Emma, it seems odd to make Josh her stepbrother, as Knightley was only connected to Emma because he was her sister's husband's brother. I've always wondered as to why Heckerling didn't just abide by this plot point and overall character arc; maybe Cher was destined to be the stereotypical 'spoilt only child', but there are so many ways to make Josh a part of the close inner circle/ family. I know that, obviously, Josh and Cher are not blood-related, but Josh's mum was married to Cher's dad for some time, so that means, at one point, they were technically siblings. Maybe Josh should have been Cher's dad's business partner or colleague. Maybe he could have been a close family friend/ childhood friend or maybe even a next-door neighbour. Anytime you have to say, "it's not incest, technically", that's not too great. Is it incest? I still don't know, but this film is not far from being perfect. Alicia Silverstone will always and forever be Cher in my eyes. No one has ever looked as good on screen as she has, ever and that's real. She is an icon, she is a legend, and she is the moment. My Twin Peaks experience is not as cool as Cher's, but we certainly drive the same way. Imagine thinking Cher Isn't the most iconic, stylish, and caring female character in cinematic history! As if! Not only is the cast amazing, but the perfect execution of modernisation of a Jane Austen book written in the 1800s is just amazing. It also takes a great mind to understand the teenagers of the 'now', and as I've stated before, many filmmakers and directors who try to write about teenagers as fully grown adults usually miss the mark and fall flat on their faces. It's refreshing to see a director who understands that teenagers aren't really adults or children and that they have their own set of problems and obstacles that they must overcome. And might I say that the soundtrack to this film is just amazing, I definitely do not blast it in the car with my very reluctant mother (I'm sorry, mum, I can't help that they put some right bangers in the soundtrack!) I also still do not know a funnier script! Also, the fact that no one really wanted to fuck Elton, to me, is just straight fucking insanity!

It seems that the overall moral story within this film is that the only man that's not trash and worth it is Paul Rudd. I'm absolutely obsessed with this 'cinematic comfort food' of a movie and will never stop talking and raving about it. This really is the perfect chick flick, and I will never ever stop making people watch it. The script is perfect, the outfits are iconic, the vibes are immaculate, and the plot is absolutely 'buggin'. I'm just like Cher except I'm not hot or rich I just have a crush on Paul Rudd and can't drive. 

Rating: 4.5/5

Favourite quotes:

"I'm not a prude, I'm just highly selective"

"She's a full-on Monet. It's like a painting, see? From far away, it's okay. But up close, it's a big old mess. " 

"You're a virgin who can't drive." 

"Hello? There was a stop sign."
"I totally paused." 




Comments

Popular Posts